Consultant for Assessment and Development of Business Models for LED Entities within MoLD
The project titled ‘Supporting the Ministry of Local Development in Decentralization and Integrated Local Development with Special Emphasis on Upper Egypt’ aims to support the Ministry of Local Development (MoLD), in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), in being capable of achieving its core mandates, particularly creating a modernized and decentralized local administration system at the central and local levels in selected governorates, which adheres to good governance, whose function is to support and promote integrated local development through upholding excellence in local public services delivery and promoting local economic and social development.
Developing and rebuilding central and local institutional capacity is core not only for implementing decentralization, but also to achieving the ultimate objective of local development as represented in Local Economic Development (LED) and provision of improved services and infrastructure. Creating productive employment opportunities in each locality that caters to all requires effective and practical yet a strategic framework for economic development, including targeted public investment in infrastructure, development of human capabilities, active promotion of innovation and entrepreneurship, and alignment with national policies for trade, investment and the like. Moreover, enhancing public service delivery systems increase citizen satisfaction with government performance, particularly when adhering to good governance.
In continuous attempts to support the development of conducive and sustainably-competitive local economies, the Ministry of Local Development established different financial instruments and LED entities to support the growth of local economies, reduce poverty and utilize natural and human resources, and creates decent jobs for all, specially, women, youth and the disabled. One of these LED instruments is the Local Development Fund (LDF) that was established under the Presidential Decree 310 for the year 1978 to support the governorates and local units in addressing poverty and supporting entrepreneurship in villages all over Egypt.
In addition to the LDF, the Ministry launched in 2015 an initiative to support economic development as well as to incorporate social development. Your Project Initiative was established aiming to address unemployment through availing funding and providing technical support and facilitation of permits through one-stop-shop mechanisms through local administration in each governorate. Besides, the Ministry has its own vocational training workshops in a number of governorates for different handicrafts that employ a large number of workers and employees. These workshops were originally initiated to support the development of the handicrafts sector by creating skillful and well-trained workers and match the market demand. Currently these vocational training workshops are not responding to market needs in ways that would boost the handicrafts sector and support it economically.
Over time, the successive attempts of institutional restructuring of MoLD taking place under different Ministry leadership led to changing the institutional affiliation and accordingly the mandates of these entities. By eliminating the Agency for the Development and Construction of Egyptian Villages (to which the LDF was affiliated), the new governing arrangement of the Fund is unclear. This perpetuated the deficiencies in the overall performance of the LDF and weakened its role financially and technically.
As for Your Project Initiative, it was not embedded within the organizational structure of the Ministry in the first place. In addition, its correlation with the LDF is not clear, particularly that both entities support local development financially. Thus, the need arises to identify any overlapping mandates and to support the Ministry in the restructuring of these financial instruments by initially developing adequate business models, operational processes and guidelines, and mapping out of potential sources of funds.
The objective of this consultancy mission is to lead the development of viable and sustainable business models to the three LED-related entities affiliated to the Ministry of Local Development within its mandate in promoting and supporting LED.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
Scope of Work and Tasks
The consultant is expected to support MoLD with the development of viable business models based on accurate assessments for the affiliation, functionality and sustainability of the three LED-related entities of the Ministry: “Your Project Initiative”, the Local Development Fund, and for the affiliate workshops to MoLD.
Accordingly, the consultant is expected to perform the following set of tasks and responsibilities:
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment to the three entities to determine the viability of a sustainable financing and existence of adequate structural, financial, and administrative/management arrangements and highlight potential areas of improvement,
- Carry out an in-depth analysis on recent business models and methodologies in global best practices for similar financial entities affiliated to Ministries in support of local development,
- Produce viable business models for the respective financial entities to be applied in alignment with existing guidelines, and recommendations for possible institutional, management and financial reforms in support of their sustainability,
- Facilitate consultations, workshops and focus group discussions with all relevant stakeholders towards the development of the business models;
- Invite participation and resource mobilization through engaging relevant stakeholders (that include but not confined to private sector players, investors, financial institutions, to determine potential sources of funds and establish partnerships;
- Advice the three entities on applying the proposed business models,
DeliverablesThe firm is expected to deliver the following output:
- Deliverable 1: Report with the findings of the assessment conducted to the three affiliate financial institutions that includes mapping out and analysis of the existing structural, financial, administrative/management arrangements and highlighting potential areas of improvement.
- Deliverable 2: Adequate business models to be applied to the three LED-related entities.
- Deliverable 3: Final report summarizing the process of developing the business models, the challenges faced, recommendations for implementation or improvement, and description of outcomes. The consultant shall also provide in the report (or annexed to it) any documents, information or contacts that he/she comes across at the local and central level while conducting the consultancy mission.
** All deliverables are to be submitted in the Arabic language with summaries in English.
- Collection of data / information required is the responsibility of the consultant.
- If needed, the project team can support with the facilitation of data collection from the counterparts.
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
There will be a kick-off meeting with the selected consultant to agree on the methodological approach & all arrangements with the Senior Program Advisor and Project Team.
Scope of Fees & Schedule of Payments:
|1||Report with the findings of the assessment conducted to the three affiliate financial institutions that includes mapping out and analysis of the existing structural, financial, administrative/management arrangements and highlighting potential areas of improvement.||30%|
|2||Adequate business models to be applied to the three LED-related entities.||40%|
|3||Final report summarizing the process of developing the business models, the challenges faced, recommendations for implementation or improvement, and description of outcomes. The consultant shall also provide in the report (or annexed to it) any documents, information or contacts that he/she comes across at the local and central level while conducting the consultancy mission.||30%|
Experience and Competencies:
The selected consultant should have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in formulating business models, conducting economic development of similar publicly-governed financial institutions,
- Extensive experience in dealing with public and local administration projects as well as private sector players;
- Appropriate experience working with government structures at all administrative levels;
- Knowledge of analytical capacity for determining mitigation options for decision making;
- Outstanding knowledge of public & local administration laws as well as financial and institutional regulations.
- High communication and moderation skills;
- Strong reporting and report-writing skills in Arabic and English;
- Independent, well-organized, responsive and respects timeframes
Section: Extra information
Duration of the Assignment
The consultancy mission shall take five months and ends on December 15th, 2020 (40 working days).
Proposals to be submitted by consultants including technical (methodology, approach, etc.) and financial offers as well as an updated CV.
The technical offer includes a proposed methodology and approach to the desired task.
The financial offer should be a lump-sum figure covering all expenses. The consultant will indicate in her/his proposal a clear timetable work plan of each deliverable, and number of anticipated working days.
The consultant should provide a certificate of good health and a proof of valid medical insurance as per Covid-19 Consultant hiring updates. Applications to be sent in soft copies (PDF format) to the following email: [email protected] maximum by Sunday August 16th, 2020.
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and b) Having received the highest score out of a pre- determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria weight; 70% * Financial Criteria weight; 30% only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 point would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
|• Consultant Experience||40%||28 points|
|• Proposed Methodology||60%||42 points|
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.