Programme Associate UN habitat
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations programme working towards a better urban future. Its mission is to promote socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. The current policy and development practices in Egypt are facing numerous challenges to enable the implementation of sustainable and efficient urban development. Centralization, weak coordination between development sectors, and poor participation of local communities are among various difficulties hindering the achievement of enhanced national development through urbanization.
Urbanization is a key driver of development. Hence, sustainable planning and governance of urbanization is crucial to accommodate the rapid population growth, empower cities to optimise the value of urbanization and ensure even development, inclusion and equality. Rapid urbanization presents a unique opportunity to lift millions out of poverty when managed sustainably. However, inadequate urbanization management, doubled with rapid population growth has adversely affected quality of life leading to lack of adequate housing, and increasing inequality. These conditions contribute to diseconomies (e.g. congestion, pollution, displacement) that overtime negatively affects the overall city prosperity, efficiency, productivity and competitiveness.
The Urban Governance, Policies and Legislation Program in Egypt works towards tackling the multi-dimensional urbanization context with a special attention to urban management, urban planning, urban economy where all stakeholders are empowered and enabled to engage and play their expected role(s).The program engages with all stakeholders and on different levels to find new appropriate, realistic and context driven approaches to urbanization processes that ensure the provision of acceptable spatial standards and services. The program provides governance legislative and policy recommendations to consolidate, ensure the replicability and scale up all its successful interventions.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Urban Governance, Policies and Legislation Program Director, the program Associate is responsible for providing administrative support, technical support and support in identifying relevant policy recommendations.
- ➢ Support the program director and the program team in reviewing and developing the program strategy, workplan and reaching the overall program objectives.
- ➢ Provide the required support to the program team in developing their workplans and ensuring the quality implementation by providing the required coaching, mentoring and guidance.
- ➢ Support the program team in capacity building advisory services in addition to the overtaking the required facilitation of its activities to the government.
- ➢ Support the program team in overseeing and quality managing of all consultancy missions
- ➢ Provide the required support to the program team on urbanization topics.
- ➢ Supporting the program director and the team in developing and executing the program resource mobilization strategy and plan.
- ➢ Reporting on achieved progress of (and assuring the implementation of) projects’ activities regarding the undertaking of urban plans.
Key results Expected
- 1- Support the implementation of Governance and Legislation Programme strategies.
- Through analysis and research of the political and social situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs in all the required program documents.
- Identify the laws, legislations and policies directly affecting land management, detailed planning and metropolitan governance and recommend the required changes to the program director and the national and local counterparts
- Support in supervising the process of organizational capacity building assessment, followed by trainings and workshops to enhance the organizational capacity of key governmental and non-governmental actors engaged in territorial governance and urban development at the national and subnational levels.
- 2- Reporting on achieved progress of (and assuring the implementation of) the program projects’ activities regarding the undertaking of urban plans.
- Preparing TORs for planners, development consultants, as well as field officers.
- Monitoring and backstopping the work of all consultancies and ensuring compliance with the overall project and agreed consultancy TORs and quality standards.
- Supporting the program director in developing and readjusting the methodology for selecting pilot sites for intervention, with relevant team members and consultants
- Coordinating the partnership processes with relevant governmental and non-governmental agencies (Land Survey Authority, the Real Estate Publicity Department, Governate departments, CSOs, Private Sector, Academia…etc.) in all implementation sites in order to agree on relevant roles and implemented them as expected (prepare cadastral maps, Land tenure and Land value maps…etc.)
- Coordinating between different levels for the project implementation to assure best harmony and productivity. Including managing the relationship between the field coordinators, thesubstantial officers, the project’s consultants, the administration team and the program manager.
- Mediate community disputes or assist in developing alternative plans or recommendations for programs or projects.
- Support the program director in resource mobilization policy efforts, by conducting the required analysis and supporting in the preparation of white papers and policy briefs for laws, decrees, regulations and policies related to local/regional urban development/planning, public finance management and urban governance.
- Support in conduct and supervise the urban context (legal, political and economic) analysis processes for the program’s implementation sites (governorate level).
- Review international case studies and best practices to feed into the reform initiatives suggested by the Egyptian Government.
- Support in the production of policy briefs, technical papers and technical guidelines/ presentations that simplify the knowhow developed through the project.
- Support organizing/holding public meetings with government officials, social scientists, lawyers, developers, the public, or special interest groups to formulate, develop, or address issues regarding best potential practices, by adopting integrated development methodology through mixing planning, urban design and social development theories.
- Supporting in developing new proposals and developing the programme profile.
- Supporting the production of publications, guidelines and manuals technically and logistically.
IMPACT OF RESULTS
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Programme and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
COMPETENCIES AND CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- ❑ Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- ❑ Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- ❑ Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- ❑ Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches ❑ Responds positively to new approaches
Resource MobilizationLevel 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- ❑ Maintains database of project files ❑ Provides data and information needed for preparation of new proposals project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- ❑ Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- ❑ Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- ❑ Possesses good knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- ❑ Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- ❑ Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNH’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- ❑ Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNH’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- ❑ Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion Organizes and prioritizes work schedule
- ❑ Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- ❑ Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- ❑ Self-development, initiative-taking
- ❑ Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- ❑ Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- ❑ Creating synergies through self-control
- ❑ Managing conflict
- ❑ Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- ❑ Informed and transparent decision making
- ❑ Education: Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning or design, architecture, urban management, engineering, political or social sciences or related field is required.
- ❑ Experience: Up to 5 (3 to 5) years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing support in management advisory services related to urban development is required and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects is desirable
- ❑ Language: Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic are required
- ❑ Other desirable skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Familiarity with GIS applications and image and publishing software (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, Illustrator, etc) is desirable
Section: Extra information
Submission of Applications
Interested candidates should complete the United Nations Personal History form (P.11) and forward it electronically at the following email address: [email protected] no later than the deadline indicated.
Please indicate the vacancy reference number and Job Title in the subject line of your email otherwise you will not be considered.
- ➢ Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- ➢ Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications electronically.
- ➢ UN-HABITAT reserves the right to re-classify the post at a grade lower than the advertised level.
- ➢ Only Egyptian nationals shall be considered for the post.
- ➢ Please Write down your Name in the P11file (i.e. P11-Your Name)
- ➢ *P.11 form can be downloaded through:
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.