BACKGROUND The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements which is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns, and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN Habitat is implementing the New Urban Agenda (NUA) which seeks to promote sustainable development and a new urbanization model that is universal and adaptable to different national circumstances. Being universal in scope, people-centric and participatory, the NUA sets out priorities and actions in five main areas: national urban policies, urban legislation, rules and regulations, urban planning and design, urban economy and finance and local implementation.
UN Habitat Egypt is continuing to address the ever-growing needs of Egypt’s urban cities. In this light, UN Habitat is launching a number of projects and initiatives in the mobility sector with the aim of promoting sustainable transportation practices and policies. Reductions on reliance of personal motor vehicle use through promotion of public transport and non-motorized modes of travel (NMT) is key if cities are to be engines for economic development. The portfolio has been divided into two sections: High quality and sustainable public transportation, through the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project, and Non- motorized Transport (NMT) solutions, through the Bike Sharing Project. The BRT will be explored as a tool for alleviating congestion in Greater Cairo. The development of the BRT has shown that cities can greatly enhance the movement of people and, at the same time, alleviate problems associated with reduced accessibility due to congestion. The development of the BRT can also help transform cities to be more liveable with cleaner environments which promote the use of public transportation rather than Single Operating Vehicles (SOVs)- which take up most street space and increase pollution. On the other hand, the Bike Sharing project is a tool to promote NMT solutions and to address the first and last mile connectivity issue. The bike share project aims to improve access to opportunities for Cairo residents, especially youth, by introducing an alternative mobility tool that can transcend some of these barriers and integrate with other transportation modes. To complement the bike share system, bike lanes are also under construction to ensure fast and safe travel for all those who cycle.
The Programme Assistant will be responsible for closely coordinating to ensure that the above projects are being implemented according to an agreed upon work plan and timeline.
Under the overall supervision of UN Habitat’s Mobility Programme Officer, UN Habitat wishes to bring on board a Programme Assistant, who will undertake the below administrative and technical responsibilities related to the programme.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
- Provide effective programmatic support to the mobility portfolio
- Support the implementation of project activities to ensure timely delivery of project goals deliverables and possible pipeline project integration;
- Coordinate among project partners including but not limited to: government, UN Habitat headquarters, and international consultants;
- Develop draft project work plans and provide support for monitoring project budget and activities;
- Prepare and draft TORs, AoCs, contracts, and MoUs for programme partners and consultants.
- Carry out all necessary project reporting and documentation;
- Prepare for and organize meetings with project stakeholders and governmental entities;
- Review technical documents and provide feedback and recommendations on deliverables submitted by the project’s international and local consultants.
- Coordinate with the mobility officer of the New Urban Communities Authority Transport Unit to ensure the delivery of the Unit’s workplan
- Work actively to build positive relationships with government counterparts and manage relationships with NGO partners;
- Coordinate between project stakeholders to organize BRT Steering Committee meetings.
- Draft the necessary correspondence and prepare presentations to update and align project stakeholders (in English and Arabic).
- Provide support to proposal development and portfolio expansion
- Research global best practices and methodologies for new business areas;
- Support in the development of concept notes;
- Coordinate meetings and follow up with potential business partners;
- Provide operational, administrative, and financial support to the programme
- Submit and follow up on payment requests;
- Maintain proper filing, both soft and hard versions, of programme related documents;
- Provide supporting documentation for hiring consultants and contracting local consultancy firms and complete all necessary administrative tasks for recruitment of staff and consultants;
- Prepare project financial statements and monitor project budgets, monitoring expenditures against
- established allocations;
- Arrange all travel logistical and operational requirements including travel requests and authorizations and payments;
- Prepare all necessary documents, security clearances, and schedule meetings for relevant missions with relevant project partners;
WORK CONDITIONS The incumbent will work at Cairo Office location, on daily basis and according to the official working hours and may be asked to attend during weekends for any additional services.
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Urban Policy, Public Policy, Economics, or Political Science is required.
- Experience: Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in related areas such as urban planning or international development is required. Experience working with international organizations and governmental entities is desirable. Relevant work experience in transport related projects is desirable.
- Language: Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required.
- Other desirable skills: Ability to work independently with a high degree of responsibility, in a flexible manner and often under pressure. Capability to organize and facilitate large-scale meetings. Strong conceptual and documentation skills. Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks with attention to details. Strong organizational and computer skills (writing – visualization – presentation). Candidate should be flexible and adaptable. Technical report writing skills. Ability to use Google Earth.
- Project Management: Strong project management skills, specifically time management, and the ability to delegate and follow up on tasks with multiple partners.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and efficiency in meeting commitments and deadlines to produce successful outputs and deliverables.
- Communication: Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping parties informed and has the ability of negotiating and coordinating among partners.
- Creativity: Actively seeks and offers new and different approaches to solve challenges and is flexible, adaptable, and accepting to change.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals and had the ability to approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Section: Extra information
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications electronically.
- UN-HABITAT reserves the right to re-classify the post at a grade lower than the advertised level.
- Only Egyptian nationals shall be considered for the post.
- Please Write down your Name in the P11file (i.e. P11-Your Name)
- *P.11 form can be downloaded through: http://www.eg.undp.org/content/dam/egypt/docs/Vacancies/P11form.doc
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.