The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations programme working towards a better urban future. Its mission is to promote socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. In October 2016, at the UN Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development – Habitat III – member states signed the New Urban Agenda. This is an action-oriented document which sets global standards of achievement in sustainable urban development, rethinking the way we build, manage, and live in cities. Through drawing together cooperation with committed partners, relevant stakeholders, and urban actors, including at all levels of government as well as the private sector, UN-Habitat is applying its technical expertise, normative work and capacity development to implement the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goal 11 – to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
Mandated by the UN General Assembly in 1978 to address the issues of urban growth, it is a knowledgeable institution on urban development processes, and understands the aspirations of cities and their residents. For forty years, UN-Habitat has been working in human settlements throughout the world, focusing on building a brighter future for villages, towns, and cities of all sizes. Because of these four decades of extensive experience, from the highest levels of policy to a range of specific technical issues, UN-Habitat has gained a unique and a universally acknowledged expertise in all things urban. This has placed UN-Habitat in the best position to provide answers and achievable solutions to the current challenges faced by our cities. UN-Habitat is capitalizing on its experience and position to work with partners to formulate the urban vision of tomorrow. It works to ensure that cities become inclusive and affordable drivers of economic growth and social development.
UN-Habitat Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS) was established in 2011 in Cairo, Egypt, and provides technical cooperation and capacity building for 18 countries across the Arab region. The Regional Office promotes and implements policies, programs and operational projects in UN-Habitat’s focus areas, at regional, national, and local levels, aimed at achieving sustainable urban development in the countries of the region, and provide technical cooperation services, upon request from governments. UN-Habitat ROAS covers all the operational activities and projects in 18 countries across the Arab Region; currently, with 12 active country programmes.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
- Provide assistance in support of planning and implementation of activities/processes of the programme
- Support preparation of background information for programme/project formulation, support project documentation preparation, work plans, proposals on implementation arrangements
- Assist in the coordination of project planning and preparation; monitors status of project proposals; takes necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval
- Support to results-based monitoring and operational and financial reporting, including appropriate reporting to HQ and donors as necessary
- Assist in preparation/reviews of programme-related documents and ongoing monitoring, drafts standard correspondence and presentations on the projects/programmes
- Provide logistical support to the execution of capacity development events as needed;
- Draft formal correspondence, in both Arabic and English;
- Maintain proper filing, both soft and hard versions, of programme related documents.
- Assist the regional director in coordination and follow-up on correspondences
- Assist the regional director in the preparation of materials, this includes presentations and briefing documents.
- Support in identifying and documenting best practices, tools and lessons learned from programmes and projects at country and regional level
- Support enhancing the online knowledge management system for UN-Habitat ROAS and UN- Habitat Country Offices with support from the Knowledge Management and Reporting Officer, Communication Associate and Regional ICT Officer in ROAS;
- Support the development and dissemination of knowledge and experience through enhanced communication, strengthened knowledge products and publications.
- Support the implementation of UN-Habitat Communication and Advocacy Strategy
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
- Education: First level university degree in urban development, architecture, political science, social sciences or related development field. Advanced university degree is an advantage.
- Experience: Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in development projects, programme management or related area (For master degree holders, a minimum of three year and for bachelor degree holders a minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in programme management or related development field is required). A solid understanding of sustainable urban development in the Arab region is required, with a focus on participatory processes and cross-cutting issues (human rights, gender, youth, climate change). Experience working in international development/humanitarian sector is an advantage, especially in the United Nations System.
- Language: Fluency in English as well as Arabic (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Other skills: Technical report writing skill and a high-level of computer literacy. Proficient in website and internet applications, database management, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Knowledge of Adobe InDesign will be an asset. Good personal organization, interpersonal and communication skills. Previous working experience in communication and advocacy and cooperation with media will also be an asset.
Section: Extra information
- All interested applicants shall submit their P11 form to UN-Habitat Regional Office Vacancy e- mail: ⦁ [email protected]
- Deadline for applications: 18 October 2020 @5:00 pm Cairo time
- NB: Please refer to the Job ref. Prog/003-10/2020 & Job title in the e-mail subject
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further interviews
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.