Essential Services Team, Programme Manager
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
Main purpose of the job:
Joining a diversified, experienced and exciting Development Team at the British Embassy in Cairo for programme management of a portfolio of ongoing and future activities delivering ODA impact within the field of essential services – education, healthcare and child protection. The candidate will work on projects that aim to support the Government of Egypt Education 2.0 reform agenda, and the provision of essential services in targeted locations, particularly North Sinai.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with the Senior Programme Manager, Essential Services, under the wider supervision of the Essential Services Team Lead, and the Head of Programmes, you will have responsibility for a number of objectives critical to the delivery of ODA activity in Egypt.
- High quality programme management; taking ownership for the delivery of one or more UK-funded projects. This will include;
- Adapting and shaping programmes based on best practise, changing context, results, and UK and Egypt strategy.
Monitoring and evaluation of the projects results based on the agreed results framework
- Quarterly reporting
- Financial administration of assigned projects
- Risk management
- Maintaining strong relationships with implementing partners to monitor projects’ progress
- Conducting field visits to monitor project outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Effective relationship management, with relevant donors, potential partners, senior stakeholders (e.g. Ministries) and central teams in London.
- Organisation of events and/or senior visits between the UK and Egypt as required, and working across the Development team to support others; including deputising for senior colleagues.
- Supporting the Head of Essential Services on identifying communications opportunities, working closely with the Embassy Communications team and Implementing Partners on promoting the education, health and child protection portfolio.
- Lead on aspects of the design, engagement, outreach, research, procurement, and internal approval processes when developing new projects.
- Work closely with the political and commercial teams to promote UK and Egypt mutual prosperity.
- A corporate role to support the wider Embassy e.g. membership of the Local Staff Association, L+D committee, or Wellbeing committee.
The thematic area of the project portfolio may change throughout the job holder’s time in the role, according to new priorities or strategic direction. Applicants should be prepared to redirect efforts to other areas of Economic, Social, Youth, Justice or Security-focussed Development activity.
- Delivering Value for Money – Involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. It means seeking out and implementing solutions which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
- Collaborating and Partnering – People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering at Pace – Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Managing a Quality Service – Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
- A degree in a relevant discipline
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of successfully delivering programmes/projects in a development context
- Excellent financial management skills and the willingness to learn and work on new financial systems.
- Excellent administration skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent team-working
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- The ability to build, maintain and influence a network of contacts
- Understanding of the principles of Safeguarding and their practical application
- Knowledge of the economic and political situation in Egypt, government structure and donor work.
- Knowledge of the education and health sectors in Egypt
- Experience of working with government, NGOs, the UN and multilaterals (such as the World Bank) to deliver programming.
- Experience of working in education/health or allied programming.
Section: Extra information
The successful candidate must have the right to live and work in Egypt.
Section: Important application extra details
How to Apply:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae
- A completely filled out online application form. Kindly ensure that concrete examples of each competences are provided on the application summary section of the form.
- A covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills and competences to apply for the role.
The closing date for applications is 23:55 (Local Time) 29 September 2020.
Please note that incomplete applications or applications received after the stated deadline will not be taken into consideration.
Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for the interview will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
Personal data collected will be treated in strictest confidence under the terms of the UK Data Protection Act and used for recruitment purposes only.
The British Embassy Cairo is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Egypt employment law.
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.