The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a global leader in the fight against drugs, crime, terrorism and corruption. It is a lead provider of specialized assistance to Governments, operating in all regions through an extensive network of Field Offices.
Under the direct supervision of the ROMENA Operations Manager and under the overall guidance of the Regional Representative, the Finance Assistant will provide financial and budget support with high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
The Finance Assistant will work in close collaboration with colleagues in the Operations Team at ROMENA, programme colleagues at various UNODC Offices in the region, the Financial and Resource Management Services (FRMS) at UNODC HQ in Vienna, Austria, and various UNDP country office(s) in the region.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
Summary of Key Functions:
- Process vendor payments for ROMENA Offices;
- Payroll and non-payroll eIOV tracking and reconcilation;
- Take the lead and process ROMENA travel ticket payments;
- Maintanance of payment records and financial documents;
Provide the financial needs of ROMENA service contracts based on contracts and pas payment history for services;
- Assist in the analysis of recorded expenditure for ROMENA Offices;
- Maintain financial information files and the appropriate filing of financial documents and reports. Financial tasks:
- Initiates payment requests ensuring that all UN/UNODC financial regulations and rules are adhered to. This includes, amongst other things, calculating, inputting, and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to concerned colleagues/offices;
- Submits Umoja banking instructions for vendors through FRMS Tracker;
- Verifies the correctness and accuracy of supporting documents submitted by programme/project staff, prepares payment request, makes necessary calculations, and assures inclusion of all relevant data when preparing requisitions and vouchers in Umoja;
- Prepares funds commitment documents as requried;
- Reviews incoming payment instructions with regard to sources of funds and banking details;
- Processes payments to personnel, consultants, experts, vendors and other clients;
- Manages payments of ROMENA service contracts in a timely manner making sure that expenditures are charged to the appropriate budget lines and commitments, and the budget is consistently monitored with no shortfalls;.
- Notifies payees of status of payments as and when required;
- Assists with queries on payment-related issues;
- Uses UNODC accounting system (UMOJA) to record and reconcile expenditures and payments in compliance with UN/UNODC financial regulatioins and rules;
- Review commitments for ROMENA service contracts and advise amendments as required
- Act as ROMENA petty cash custodian.
Budget and Reporting:
- Supports/assists in the reconcilation of commitments, adjustments and liabilities under programmes/project Umoja financial data;
- Reviews journal voucher requests for the reversal of incurred charges;
- Assists programm e/project colleagues in the analysis of Umoja financial information and reports generated;
- Analyses and monitors the expenditure status of ROMENA service contracts and alerts the programme associate and the operations manager;
- Drafts/provides financial inputs to Annual Internal Oversight Report (AIOR).
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on financial matters in accordance with United Nations policies and procedures;
- Drafts routine correspondence with respect to enquiries related to relevant financial and budget matters;
- Maintains and keep up-to-date files;
- Contributes for the orientation, initiation and administrative guidance of programme personnel;
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Impact of Results
Efficient and timely achievement of results directly affects service delivery. Inaccuracy in information processed, inefficiency in support of services provided, inadequacy in organizational and logistical arrangements made and insufficient client orientation will have a significant negative impact on Operations Team’s ability to deliver support services efficiently and Organization’s reputation.
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
- Demonstrate commitment to Organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Professionalism: a) shows pride in work and in achievement with minimal supervision b) conscientious and efficient in meeting commitment, deadlines and achieving results c) able to work under stressful situation
- Planning and Organizing: a) develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies b) identifies priority activities and assignments and adjust priorities as required c) monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Communication: a) listens, speaks and writes clearly and effectively b) demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping proper people informed
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: a) works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals b) works effectively with people from all background c) treats all people equally with dignity and respect d) shares credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibilities for team shortcomings
Education: A University Degree in Accounting, Business or Public Administration or related field is required.
Experience: Minimum two years of relevant experience with an international organization at the national/international level in the financial management and administration area is required; Knowledge of UN Financial Regulations and Rules is required; Experience in the usage of computers and standard MS Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is required; Experience in a large Enterprise Resource Planning System is desired; Experience in the UN ERP (Umoja) will be an advantage.
Language Requirements: Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
Section: Extra information
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.