Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
This post is located at the Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS) in Cairo, Egypt. ROAS covers all the operational activities and projects in 18 countries across the Arab Region; currently, with 13 active country programmes. Under the overall supervision of the ROAS Director, the incumbent reports to the Human Settlements Officers (HSOs) and will work in close collaboration with the respective colleagues at headquarters and country offices in the Arab region.
The focus of this position is planning, development, management, promotion and coordination of normative and operational activities related to human settlements programmes in the Arab region. The incumbent is expected to assist in the design, advise and implementation of relevant strategies and programmes, in collaboration with other units, aligned with UN-Habitat’s mandate, objectives, focus areas and expected results.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
ResponsibilitiesWithin delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assisting in the strengthening of inter-divisional collaboration to achieve better linkages between normative and operational support to better coordinate and support the implementation of the organization’s work programme.
- Carries out research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities including collecting, analysing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc. to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of emerging development issues and trends, preparations of evaluation or other research activities and studies, etc.
- Leads survey initiatives; elaborates the design of data collection tools, reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/ issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identify problems/ issues and prepares conclusions.
Programme Development and Implementation:
- Works with key clients to coordinate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/ projects; monitors and analyses specific aspects of programme/ project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Coordinates and provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; develops training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/ activities.
- Participates in or leads field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/ project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of documents/ reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Supports coordination with regional entities with particular focus on liaising with the League of Arab States and affiliated organisations and expanding and establishing new partnerships in the region.
- Follows up on the implementation and monitoring of regional strategies on urban issues with relevant stakeholders.
- Supports preparations of regional events with particular focus on the implementation of the Arab Strategy for Housing and Sustainable Urban Development 2030 and the Arab Ministerial Forum for Housing and Urban Development.
- Prepares UN-Habitat ROAS inputs to the R-UNSDG peer support group meetings and the regional Issue Bases Coalitions on Urbanization and other relevant regional platforms
- Performs additional ad hoc assignments as and when required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following
- Counterparts, officers and technical staff in UN-Habitat headquarters, sub-regional and country offices, relevant UN specialized agencies and regional entities.
- Representatives and officials in national governments, international organizations, consultants.
- Programme/ projects developed, implemented, monitored and evaluated. Well-reasoned written contributions, e.g. background papers, analysis, sections of reports, studies, and inputs to publications, in a timely manner. Effective working relationships with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally developed and maintained. Adherence to policies and efficient use of resources.
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
The position requires a result oriented, motivated and talented professional who demonstrates integrity, leadership quality, managerial competence, and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams. More specifically, the position requires the following competencies:
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to develop sources for data collection. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases.
Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
o Planning& Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.Qualifications
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in architecture/ urban development, social sciences, business administration, economics, geography or development related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in development projects, programme management or related area (For master degree holders, a minimum of three (3) years and for bachelor degree holders a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in information management or related fields is required). A solid understanding of issues concerning housing and sustainable urban development, with a focus on participatory processes and cross-cutting issues (human rights, gender, youth, climate change). Knowledge of urban development paradigms and socio-political situation of the Arab Region and the respective sub-regions. International experiences an asset, especially with the United Nations System.
- Language: Fluency in English as well as Arabic (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN language such as French is an advantage.
- Other skills: Technical report writing skill and a high-level of computer literacy. Proficient in website and internet applications, database management, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Good personal organization, interpersonal and communication skills. Previous working experience in communication and advocacy and cooperation with media will be an asset.
Section: Extra information
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.