NATIONAL PROJECT MANAGER
Project Title: Solid waste management in Minya
Duty Station: Cairo with frequent travel to Minya
Project Goals and Background:
This is the third phase of the Solid Waste Management in Minya governorate. The project is established with the main objective of developing and implementing appropriate, affordable and sustainable waste management practices in addition to enhancing waste disposal practices throughout Minya Governorate.
This main objective will be realized throughout the execution of the following specific objectives:
1. Upgrade the capacity of the Waste Management
- Department in Minya city through provision of Technical assistance for the revision, execution of the master plan prepared by the National Solid Waste Management
- Program (NSWMP) for the Governorate;
2. Raise Public awareness on best practices of solid waste management system in accordance with the Master plan prepared and promoting the right habits that support the development of the waste disposal and processing in the Governorate.
- Establish a Modern Recycling plant for a typical rural governorate replicating the model implemented in EDWA city to be operated in the future through public/private partnership (PPP) or private investments.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
The expected results will be as follows:
- The waste management plan prepared by the National Solid Waste Management Plan is revised, implemented and monitored. The overall institutional setup and governance with relevance to Solid Waste Management and Solid Waste Management Development in Minya Governorate is improved.
- Waste management practices upgraded with improved waste disposal and processing practices;
- New/Modern recycling plant is established with 500 t/d processing capacity of municipal wastes from Minya city solving the city’s current environmental problems;
- Private Sector Engaged and Sustainability Achieved;
- Project Visibility Lesson Learned and achievements are realized.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Overseeing and managing of the project on day-to-day basis;
- Overseeing monitoring and evaluation activities of the project;
- Managing partnerships, policy, resource mobilization and advocacy efforts, and;
- Facilitating knowledge management and sharing.
- Oversee and manage the project on day-to-day basis
- Manage the project team (technical specialists, project officers, support staff, consultants) and ensure timely implementation, results orientation and accountability for project results;
- Lead the development of annual programme/project delivery targets and guide the project team to achieve the targets;
- Manage the execution and the evaluation of the project team so that the work is effectively and efficiently conducted, and as per the technical requirements.
- Develop, manage and review project budgets and ensure timely and accurate reporting; and supervise financial and administrative tasks.
- Set direction for the team including roles and responsibilities, accountability and reporting ensuring that the work of the team is conducted in accordance with implementing agency relevant business processes and that high–quality outputs are delivered on time;
- Guide the project staff to perform project reporting, field missions, and project support services providing day-to-day guidance by enhancing teamwork within the project and with other beneficiaries;
- Monitor the progress on agreed project framework and performance indicators and take action/decision and/or provide timely support to project staff;
- Undertake and report of monthly, quarterly, mid-term, annual progresses and final assessments, in addition to the on-going feedback in line with the implementing agency rules and regulations and the requirements of the main project stakeholders;
- Ensure project meets expectations with respect to quality, budget, delivery timelines, and strategy;
- Brief and consult with the EEAA, the solid waste management agency and UNDP on project progress and provide information and advice as required to contribute to the project successful execution;
- Set and manage donor expectations and manage day-to-day donor interaction;
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with the main stakeholders including Government counterparts and national partners to advance and support the project;
- Establish and maintain a usable, auditable and well-communicated records of the project;
- Ensure staff implementation of mandatory training and promote learning and development;
- Develop external networks or communities of practice covering prominent experts in government, non-government, think tanks, private companies, international development organizations;
Oversee Monitoring and Evaluation activities of the project
- Ensure close financial and procurement oversight and monitoring of all activities of the project;
- Monitor and manage any strategic risks/issues facing the project; submit new risks/issues to the Board for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks/issues by maintaining the Project Risks/Issues Log;
- Communicate progress, risks, expectations, timelines, milestones and other key project metrics to stakeholders and team members;
- Ensure project’s procedural alignment with implementing agency position, rules and regulations and mandate;
- Manage stakeholder expectations and participate in communication activities to inform stakeholders of progress and issues;
- Represent the project with donors, governments and national and international forums.
- Manage the formation of project panel of advisors to guide the work of the project
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
Key qualifications and skills:
- Post Graduate degree (Masters) from a reputable institution preferably in business and/or economics, business administration, public policy or other related disciplines.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant, practical working experience within both public and private sector.
- Management experience of public and private sector development programmes or projects, and working with NGO’s, donors and international development organizations would be highly desirable;
- Experience working with government counterparts at high levels;
- Strong technical knowledge of solid waste management and practices would be desirable;
- Strong knowledge of managing budgets and project finance during unstable economic circumstances would be desirable;
- Knowledge of public procurement policies and tendering procedures would be highly desirable;
- Strong leadership, management and negotiation skills;
- Strong ability to work as part of a team and actively pursuing networking;
- Experience with UNDP and a strong understanding of UNDP and its mandates, policies and procedures would be an advantage;
Excellent computer skills and ability to use information technology as a tool and resource;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Section: Important application extra details
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.