BACKGROUND The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations programme working towards a better urban future. Its mission is to promote socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. Mandated by the UN General Assembly in 1978 to address the issues of urban growth, it is a knowledgeable institution on urban development processes, and understands the aspirations of cities and their residents. For forty years, UN-Habitat has been working in human settlements throughout the world, focusing on building a brighter future for villages, towns, and cities of all sizes. Because of these four decades of extensive experience, from the highest levels of policy to a range of specific technical issues, UN-Habitat has gained a unique and a universally acknowledged expertise in all things urban. This has placed UN-Habitat in the best position to provide answers and achievable solutions to the current challenges faced by our cities. UN-Habitat is capitalizing on its experience and position to work with partners to formulate the urban vision of tomorrow. It works to ensure that cities become inclusive and affordable drivers of economic growth and social development. In October 2016, at the UN Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development – Habitat III – member states signed the New Urban Agenda. This is an action-oriented document which sets global standards of achievement in sustainable urban development, rethinking the way we build, manage, and live in cities. Through drawing together cooperation with committed partners, relevant stakeholders, and urban actors, including at all levels of government as well as the private sector, UN-Habitat is applying its technical expertise, normative work and capacity development to implement the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goal 11 – to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. Urbanization is a key driver of development. Hence, sustainable planning and governance of urbanization is crucial to accommodate the rapid population growth, empower cities to optimize the value of urbanization and ensure even development, inclusion and equality. Rapid urbanization presents a unique opportunity to lift millions out of poverty when managed sustainably. However, inadequate urbanization management, doubled with rapid population growth has adversely affected quality of life leading to lack of adequate housing, and increasing inequality. These conditions contribute to diseconomies (e.g. congestion, pollution, displacement) that overtime negatively affects the overall city prosperity, efficiency, productivity and competitiveness.
The Urban Governance, Policies and Legislation Program in Egypt works towards tackling the multi- dimensional urbanization challenges with a special attention to urban management, urban planning, urban economy where all stakeholders are empowered and enabled to engage and play their expected role(s).The program engages with all stakeholders and on different levels to find new appropriate, realistic and context driven approaches to urbanization processes that ensure the provision of acceptable spatial standards and services. The program is also working towards enhancing the capacity of relevant actors in reforming the legal and institutional frameworks governing urban development; promoting the empowerment of local government; enhancing land tenure security; establishing processes for participating and inclusive planning; enhancing local economic development and social entrepreneurship. The program provides legislation enhancement and policies development to ensure replicating and scaling up all its effective and successful interventions.
Under the overall supervision of the Governance program director the Programme Associate is responsible for providing public policy recommendations in addition to technical and administrative support.
Section: Responsibilities / Duties
⦁ DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze the current state of public finance management and land-based finance, including the selection of appropriate tools, identification and gathering of required data, policy analysis and revision of the legal frameworks.
- Participate in preparing infrastructure feasibility studies in all sites.
- Review local, national and international PFM/urban finance projects and initiatives, extract the relevant lessons learned and best practice, and prepare the required communication packages for dissemination.
- Participate in developing the detailed urban planning methodology that mainstreams financial assessments in the process and ensure the overall integration of financial planning within urban plans.
- Ensure proper coordination between the different stakeholders involved in implementation and monitoring of interventions related to PFM.
- Report on progress achieved for (and assure implementation of) PFM and investment project-related activities.
- Review and evaluate the deliverables and their efficiency according to the work plans and ToRs of the pilot projects.
- Responsible for producing technical papers and technical guidelines/ presentations that presents the knowhow developed throughout the project.
- Design and facilitate policy round tables and workshops related to PFM, Urban finance…etc.
- Responsible for preparing white papers and policy briefs for laws, decrees, regulations and policies related to local/regional urban development/planning, public finance management and urban governance.
- Participate in developing new proposals and the programme profile.
- Participate in the preparation of quarterly and annual implementation reports.
- Draft Terms of Refences (ToRs) and other relevant documents and support the selection and hiring of qualified experts to support all phases of undertaking and implementing of the infrastructure financial feasibility projects and PFM.
- Follow up with headquarters, the regional office and the Egypt office and other relevant parties regarding contracting, hiring and payment for staff and consultants.
- Manage and administrate travel of staff and consultants including travel requests and bookings in cooperation with headquarters, regional office and Egypt office.
- Fill in forms or requests needed and develop templates for official communication in Arabic and English.
- Translate (Arabic-English) documents of limited size if required.
- Provide logistic support to the production of Publications, guidelines and manuals.
Capacity Building-related Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the needs assessment for technical assistance to local stakeholders involved in PFM.
- Support the production of publications, guidelines and manuals that can advocate for project’s objectives and simplify the knowhow developed throughout the project.
- Support conducting periodic workshops with staff, partners and/or stakeholders to review progress and recommend revised strategies regarding pursuing policy reforms and/or capacity building of stakeholders.
- Support the organization of workshop and expert groups meetings related to PFM.
COMPETENCIES The position requires a result oriented, motivated and talented professional who demonstrates integrity, leadership quality, managerial competence, and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams. More specifically, the position requires the following competencies:
- Communication: strong conceptual skills combined with proven ability to write technical and normative documents addressing a variety of audiences.
- Building Trust: provide an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion; manage in a deliberate and predictable way; operate with transparency; has no hidden agenda; place confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients; give proper credit to others; follow through on agreed upon actions; treat sensitive or confidential information appropriately;
- Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve agreed upon goals, solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda. supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and organizing develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identifies priority activities and assignments. adjusts priorities as required allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans
and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently; must be able to work with a high degree of responsibility and with minimal supervision.
- Corporate Competencies: Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standers; Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN-Habitat; displays culture, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity: actively seek to offer new and different options to solve problems or meet client’s needs, promote and persuade others to consider new ideas, take risks on new and unusual ideas, think “outside the box”; take an interest in new ideas; is not bound to current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect, identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Section: Requirements: Education / Experience / Languages / other requirements:
Education: Graduate degree in Urban Policy, Public Policy, Economic and Political Science, Business Administration is required, Master’s in Public Finance is desirable Experience: 4 to 6 years of relevant practical experience in public finance management and urban finance is required. Knowledge of urban development paradigms and socio-political situation of Egypt and proven experience in financial/urban policy development is desirable. Relevant work experience in developing countries as well as international experiences is desirable. Work experience with UN-Habitat is an asset. Language: Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required. Other desirable skills: Ability to work independently with a high degree of responsibility, in a flexible manner and often under pressure. Capability to organize and facilitate large-scale meetings with the goal of working towards building consensus. Technical report writing skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Section: Extra information
Application Process Interested candidates should complete the United Nation Personal History form (P.11) and forward it electronically at the following email address: [email protected] no later than the deadline indicated 14 September 2020. Please indicate the vacancy reference number in the subject line of your email. Notes: ⦁ Only short-listed candidates will be notified. ⦁ Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications electronically. ⦁ UN-HABITAT reserves the right to re-classify the post at a grade lower than the advertised level. ⦁ Only Egyptian nationals shall be considered for the post. ⦁ Please Write down your Name in the P11file (i.e. P11-Your Name) ⦁ *P.11 form can be downloaded through: http://www.eg.undp.org/content/dam/egypt/docs/Vacancies/P11form.doc
Job source: recruiting organization’s website.
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.