Violence Against Women
Duration of the internship:
Application Deadline :
14 February 2017
Violence Against Women – Internship
|Advertised on behalf of :|
|Location :||Cairo, EGYPT|
|Application Deadline :||14-Feb-17 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||1d 12h 13m|
|Additional Category :||Gender Equality|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
|UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to implement these standards.
UN Women Egypt Country Office is based in Cairo, and works in the three priority areas: Leadership and Political Participation; Economic Empowerment; Ending Violence Against Women;
UN Women Egypt Country Office in Cairo is seeking a highly-motivated fresh graduate to undertake a six months Internship providing support for the Violence against Women (VAW) project team. Under the guidance and direction of the VAW Project Officer, the Intern will work in close collaboration with the project team to provide support for implementation of programme activities and in developing knowledge products for VAW related issues in Egypt. In addition, s/he will provide administrative support services and contribute to the achievement of the team’s overall objectives.
The work of the intern will contribute to the development objective of decreasing the prevalence of Violence Against Women and Girls in targeted urban areas.
The immediate objective of the intern’s work is to provide administrative support to the VAW Unit in implementing its ongoing projects and achieving its identified objectives under UN Women’s role and mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities
|The intern is expected to deliver the following results:
1. Support the Project team in the provision of technical and administrative support of project activities;
2. Assisting the project team in research and drafting of tasks, in particular with regard to policy briefs, blog posts and reporting.
3. Assist with knowledge management through support in research on VAW-related issues.
4. Provide editing support, synthesize information and package project reports, bulletins, etc. in accordance with formats and requirements;
5. Develop communication materials (i.e. newsletters, reports, bulletins, etc.) using graphic design and layout for the project
6. Maintenance of a proper filing system for EVAW records and documents,
7. Participate in planning and coordinating events and meetings,
8. Perform any other duties as may be required under EVAW portfolio
– Builds strong relationships;
– Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
– Approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
– Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
– Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
– Displays cultural, gender, nationality, religion and age sensitivity and adaptability
Required Skills and Experience
– Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as: Statistics, Economics, Social Sciences, International Development, Political Sciences and Gender Studies?.
– Proficient computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office tools
– Fluency in English and Arabic, excellent spoken and written skills.
UN Women Internship Policy:
1) Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year.
2) UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
3) All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
4) UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
5) The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
6) Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
7) The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.