Duration of the internship:
Application Deadline :
13 February 2017
|Advertised on behalf of :|
|Location :||Cairo, EGYPT|
|Application Deadline :||13-Feb-17 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||2d 19h 45m|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
|UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Communications Unit works cross-cutting in supporting all programmes under Egypt Country Office including Women’s Economic Empowerment, Women’s Political Empowerment and Violence against Women. The Unit also is responsible for formulating and implementing communications and advocacy strategies including communications and visibility plans. Additionally, the Communications Unit facilitate organizing public events, press conferences and workshops. The Communications work also includes developing various communications materials following including brochures, press releases, documentaries and infographics
Duties and Responsibilities
|Under the supervision and guidance of the Communications Unit, the intern will be responsible for assisting the communications team in various tasks.
The intern will hold the following responsibilities:
|Core Values and Guiding Principles:
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
Ethics and Values:
· Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
Development and Innovation:
Work in teams:
· Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
· Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
· Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
· Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
· Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
· Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
• Excellent communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
• Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach;
• Proven networking skills, and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate;
• Strong initiative-taker;
• Very effective at multi-tasking;
• Work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
• Ability to write clearly and concisely.
• Familiar with women’s rights issues.
• Fluent in both English and Arabic.
• Excellent writing skills in both English and Arabic.
• Excellent translation skills.
• Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is a plus.
Required Skills and Experience
|Education: Bachelor degree in Mass Communications, Political Science, Graphic Design or other relevant degrees.
Langauge Requirenments: Fluency in written and spoken English & Arabic is required.?
UN Women Internship Policy:
1) Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year.
2) UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
3) All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
4) UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
5) The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
6) Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
7) The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.