18 January 2017
Programme Assistant, GS5, Cairo, Egypt
Job Number: 502215 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job organizational context: The Generic Job Profile for the Programme Assistant at the G-5 level is to be used in a UNICEF country office, in any of the programme sections.
Purpose for the job: Under the close supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the programme assistant supports the respective section through providing a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support to programme development, planning and execution.
- Support to monitoring and reporting of programme results
- Support in resource mobilization
- Support in knowledge management and capacity building
1. Support to programme development, planning and execution.
- Compiles data and information on subject matters relevant to the work of the section to facilitate preparation of reports, working papers, and presentations.
- Prepares and maintains records pertaining to programme planning and development for his/her respective section.
- Carries out transactions in VISION ensuring programme results, activities and programme coding are as per annual work plans (AWPs), and makes amendments and alterations as per section revisions when necessary.
- Arranges meetings, workshops and training courses pertaining to programme development, and provides support in making the necessary logistical arrangements.
- Following up both internally with the Supply section and externally with counterparts to ensure supplies for programme implementation are delivered in a timely and accurate manner.
2.Support to monitoring and reporting of programme results
- Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
- Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
- Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation.
3.Support in resource mobilization
- Compiles and organizes information and data pertaining to donors (both current and potential).
- Compiles and organizes data and information to assist in the preparation of periodic or ad-hoc financial reports relating to country office and donors to support the office in optimizing use of programme funds.
- Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments and tracking expiring programme grants.Supports the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners pertaining to the section.
- Supports the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners pertaining to the section.
4. Support in Knowledge Management and capacity building
- Gathers and shares information as needed in support of improving the processes and daily operations of the section.
- Supports capacity development activities related to performance monitoring, programme development, and related internal UNICEF systems/tools by drafting necessary correspondence, compiling data reports and maintaining relevant records.
IV. Impact of Results
The efficiency and effectiveness of support provided by the programme assistant to the development, implementation and monitoring of programs/projects facilitates the delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the respective section, which in turn enhances the offices and UNICEF’s capacity in helping the most vulnerable women and children.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning & Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
Education: Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required
Language: Fluency in English and in the local language of the duty station required
Opening Date 5 Jan 2017 Egypt Standard Time
Closing Date 18 Jan 2017 Egypt Standard Time