14 January 2017
Communication Officer (Content and Innovation), NO-A, Cairo, Egypt
Job Number: 502180
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Purpose of the Position
Assists in creating and localizing content as part of the local and global digital strategy. Develops ideas for campaigns, creates content for different social media channels and coordinates the design and implementation phases. Updates the team members with the latest trends and innovations in the development field and supports other team members with content-related tasks as required.
Key Expected Results
- Content Creation. Creating fully-fledged social media campaigns in accordance to the Social Media Calendar requirements and in alignment with the global and local digital media strategy
- Communication supportive functions. Provide support to the communication team through various tasks related to the content upon necessity.
- Content innovation
- Content Creation.
- Creative theme development for local campaigns campaign and localizing themes for global campaigns.
- Allocating resources and appropriate content tools (photos, info-graphs, videos…etc.) that fit the campaign nature and required impact.
- Providing enough amounts of different types of content to meet the requirements of the Social Media Calendar in collaboration with the social media team.
- Data gathering and verification (field visits and live coverage might be needed).
- Developing text content of individual posts and their captions in English and Arabic.
- Coordinating with different content implementers (designers, videos editors, photographers…etc.) to ensure the posts’ quality, timely delivery and alignment with UNICEF digital guidelines.
- Content clearance with the sections.
2. Communication supportive functions.
- Produce concept notes and briefings.
- Give inputs to other sections regarding communication-related content to improve the output creativity and amplify impact.
- Community management support upon need.
- Assist in the overall performance evaluation and enhancement by working on creating TOR, establishing indicators, doing desk reviews and other tasks as required.
3. Content innovation. Explore different innovative tools for content creation and regularly updating the team with new trends and potentials to strengthen UNICEF digital media existence.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- One year practical professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media, or interactive digital media.
- Field work experience.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of the local language is required.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ I ]
- Drive for Results [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
- Relating and Networking
- Persuading and Influencing [ I ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
- Learning and Researching [ II ]
- Planning and Organizing [ II ]
- Specific Technical Knowledge required
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills in English and Arabic.
- Familiarity with media production requirements and process.
- Knowledge of social media environment, marketing/advertising, public relations, and analytic tools.
- Common Technical Knowledge required
- General knowledge of:
- Communication practice, methodology and practical application. Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research planning and strategy.
- Knowledge and expertise in management, Communication strategy and networking with focus on working in digital media.
- Computer systems, including internet navigation, office applications, Photoshop, and specifically, interactive digital media.
- Good understanding of world affairs, current events and international development issues.
- Good understanding of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women
- Gender equality and diversity awareness.
Education: University degree in Communications, Journalism, Arts or other relevant field.
Experience: Minimum one year practical professional work experience in creating digital content for various channels (including social media and/or websites) and handling different social media platforms. Field work experience.
Language: Fluency in Arabic and English is a must.
Opening Date 1 Jan 2017 Egypt Standard Time
Closing Date 7 Jan 2017 Egypt Standard Time