Annual salary 69,032 USD
18 January 2017
|Vacancy Notice No: EMRO/16/FT828
Title: Medical Officer (#381772)
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: Post of limited duration for one year* (please refer to note under the Additional Information section)
|Date: 28 December 2016
Application Deadline: 18 January 2017
Duty Station: Cairo, Egypt
Organization unit: EMRO Eastern Mediterranian Regional Office (EM/RGO) /
|OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage public health threats and health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international response to contain outbreaks and health emergencies and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations.
The unit of Infectious Hazards Management is responsible for supporting countries for prevention and control of high threat diseases of both epidemic and pandemic potential through development and dissemination of evidence-based strategies, policies, tools, norms and standards to manage infectious disease hazards.
The team of High Threat Pathogens (PAT) develops strategies, guidance, regional mechanisms and interventions to address high threat pathogens responsible for epidemics or pandemics thereby reducing their impact on affected populations and limiting their international spread. This group deals with known high threat pathogens such as cholera, dengue, influenza, avian influenza, Ebola and other viral haemorrhagic fevers (VHF), Zika, coronaviruses like the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), meningitis and plague.
Under the overall guidance of Manager, Infectious Hazards Management, the incumbent will be part of a multidisciplinary team responsible for management of infectious disease threats that is mainly specific to the Region. As the Medical Officer, s/he would remain responsible for providing leadership, strategic guidance and expert advice related to the technical work of the unit for managing the risks and threats of infectious disease hazards. The incumbent also ensures that work plans and activities reflect WHO and IHM /PAT priorities and standards. The incumbent independently make decisions, develops strategies and implements actions, while keeping the Team Lead, High Threat Pathogens and Manager, IHM appropriately apprised about important issues and potential problems. The incumbent actively participates in the IHM Management Group and keeps the Manager and fellow Team Leaders informed about important developments. The incumbent seeks ways to create synergies, reduce duplication and other inefficiencies and addresses conflicts as is appropriate and ensures that the team appropriately participates and engages in cross-cutting approaches as a way to accomplish its work. The incumbent will be deployed to emergency operations as a technical lead when required.
The present position under WHE (which is a single programme across the Organization) may be relocated to another duty station, including at Regional or Country level, based upon the technical needs of the Programme.
Purpose of the position:
|Description of duties:
The incumbent will perform the following functions:
1) Provide technical leadership, guidance and expert advice related to the technical work on High Threat Pathogen diseases of epidemic and pandemic potentials that are specific to the Region.
Essential: University degree in Medicine with Master’s degree in public health
Desirable: Training on epidemiology or surveillance for respiratory diseases
WHO global Competencies model can be found at http://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
1) Producing results
2) Moving forward in a changing environment
3) Setting an example
4) Ensuring the effective use of resources
5) Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
Essential: At least 7 years of combined national and international level experience in public health especially in the control and prevention of infectious diseases including on epidemic diseases and networking with clinicians. Proven experience in managing finances, budgets and staff and clear proof of responsibility for management of work plan activities.
Desirable: Proven primary responsibility for managing cross-cutting initiatives involving different departments or organizational entities in a multinational context such as the UN, WHO or similar.
Excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of Arabic or another WHO official language would be an asset.
* Extension of appointment is subject to:
(a) satisfactory performance,
(b) continuous need for the function, and
(c) availability of funds.
– Applicants are kindly requested to pay attention to the screening questions as they will be used to screen out unqualified candidates.
– Only qualified applicants with the relevant experience will be considered.
– In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
– A written test/presentation and interviews will be used as a form of screening. The written test might be used as an eliminatory tool.
– Interviews will include competency-based questions.
– This vacancy is published in English only.
– WHO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars. They consist of a base salary and a post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
– Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WHO:
– Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world
|Annual salary: (Net of tax)
69,032 USD at single rate
74,130 USD with primary dependants
|Post Adjustment: 29.8 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.|
|This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.|
|Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.|
|All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.|
|WHO is committed to workforce diversity.|
|Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.|