- In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women Internships offer students and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds the opportunity to be part of a unique mandate; to contribute to challenging, global and highly rewarding initiatives to achieve gender equality; and to connect and learn from talented and highly qualified specialists across UN Women globally.
Unit/ Project Background:
- The procurement Unit providing procurement services to the Regional office staff, and guidance to all procurement staff in the region Under the guidance and direct supervision of the regional operations manager, the Procurement Unit provides leadership in execution of procurement services in Regional Office (RO) ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity.
- The Procurement unit works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the Regional Office (RO).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative and filling support to the Procurement Associate.
- Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. correspondence, solicitation documents, Meeting minutes etc.;.
- Support the Procurement Associate in the procurement process, including the preparation of procurement notices, advertisement, etc.
- Support the Procurement Associate in developing and updating the rosters of suppliers in the ROAS roster.
- Performs other duties as required.
- After a six-month assignment, the intern will have gained expertise and experience in UN Rules and regulation related to procurement and administrative work for the United Nations, as well as hands-on experience in the implementation of the UNWOMEN mandate.
|Core Values and Core Competencies:
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Held colleagues and team members accountable for planned goals and competency standards;
- Practiced giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Proactively informed clients, preventing loss of time and errors;
- Responded to questions, resolved problems, and helped provide accurate information to clients;
- Identified, understood, and addressed client needs.
Commitment to Learning:
- Learned about agency, its processes, structure, challenges, and environment;
- Contributed to knowledge sharing.
- Produced communication products (written and oral);
- Interpreted key messages for and from clients with cultural sensitivity.
Planning and Organizing:
- Developed work plans;
- Implemented activities in a timely manner, met deadlines.
- Coordinated work and roles with other team members;
- Supported goals of the team;
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Creative thinker, willing to try new ways of doing things; ability to think and work logically; attention to detail;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Able to work independently and in a team;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in Accounting, Business administration, or other similar subject at the university level;
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is a distinct advantage.
UN Women Internship Policy:
- UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship;
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, National ID and visa (if applicable).
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.