: PROGRAMME SPECIALIST RE-ADVERTISEMENT
Domain : Education
Post Number : 5EGED 0003RP
Grade : P-4
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Salary : 89 604 USD (Annual Salary)
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : November 12, 2016
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Cluster Office in Cairo, the incumbent of the post will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of UNESCO’s activities and projects in the field of Education in Egypt and Libya and will be expected to provide support to Education activities and projects in Sudan (in close cooperation with the UNESCO Office in Khartoum). He/she will contribute to and support the effective implementation of the Global and Regional Strategies of the Education Sector and will also play a significant role in the policy and strategy direction of the Office in resource optimization and mobilization. The incumbent shall work in close collaboration and cooperation with the UNESCO Regional Bureau for Education in the Arab States and the Education Sector at Headquarters. Within this context, the incumbent’s main activities will be to:
- Lead the conceptualization, design, planning, development, coordination, monitoring and implementation of the Education Strategy in Egypt and Libya and support the Khartoum Office for the same in Sudan; participate in identifying strategic issues, opportunities and risks to effectively integrate them into organizational objectives; provide technical advice and backstopping towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG4) – Education 2030 Agenda, with particular focus on quality inclusive education systems, Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), Global Citizenship Education, Literacy and Non-Formal Education, Teachers and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET).
- Develop, coordinate and monitor extra-budgetary projects and ensure periodic reviews and reporting, and sharing of information related to the field of education, in particular SDG4/Education 2030, Education for Sustainable Development, TVET and Global Citizenship Education among other extra-budgetary projects.
- Design and coordinate the implementation of capacity development programmes in strategic planning in education and provide technical contribution to sub-regional organisations, as well as technical backstopping to the national office in Sudan.
- Support and liaise with respective Ministries of Education within the cluster and Region in the preparation of country level co-operation programmes and the planning and implementation of research and analytical work.
- Develop joint programmes with other UN agencies and ensure UNESCO’s participation in UN Country Teams (UNCTs), UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and the Delivering As One modality in the Member States on matters related to Education.
- Identify key stakeholders, develop and maintain professional collaboration and partnerships at national, cluster, regional and global levels including planning, implementation and monitoring of advocacy activities jointly organized with networks and partners.
- Identify and mobilize extra-budgetary resources to support national education sector development in the cluster and the Region in line with country policy priorities, the regional Education Support Strategy and overall resource mobilization strategies of UNESCO by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities.
- Lead and manage the Education team in the Office as well as associated service providers and contractors towards the achievement of objectives and policy implementation.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of education, economics, social sciences or in another related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive responsible relevant experience in the field of education development and policy, of which at least 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Work experience and demonstrated expertise in planning, developing, implementing, managing and evaluating programs/projects in the field of education.
- Established experience in coordinating, negotiating and dealing with partners and networks in private and public sectors.
- Proven record in fund raising and resource mobilization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks; demonstrated ability to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to establish priorities, coordinate and monitor own work plan.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, motivate and supervise staff and teams and to maintain effective working relations in a multicultural environment.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in the field of education policy, education reform, and/or education economics.
- Experience in planning, implementing and managing Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and teacher education and development programmes/projects.
- Relevant experience aquired in several countries.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Good knowledge of education systems in the Arab States, and good understanding of the educational and labour market issues in the Region.
- Good knowledge (written and spoken) of Arabic.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS